! NEW RESEARCH WORK !
A recent publication
by DW Lim, T Han, MY Um, M Yoon, TE Kim, YT Kim et al in "Nutrients" highlights the merits of using Bioseb's Tail Suspension Test - Wireless
: Administration of Asian Herb Bennet (Geum japonicum) Extract Reverses Depressive-Like Behaviors in Mouse Model of Depression Induced by Corticosterone.
Painless, "tape" technique
Bioseb's Tail Suspension Cages
The tail-suspension test was developed as an alternative to the Porsolt Forced Swimming test
, and is based on a similar concept. Mice, suspended by their tail using a piece of tape (a painless method), innately attempt to escape from this adversive situation. However, following failed attempts to escape, they experience a kind of despair and become immobile. The magnitude of immobility is considered to be correlated with the depressive-like state of the subjects and is significantly decreased by antidepressants. The Tail Suspension Test was described in the 80's by Steru & al. and allows for fast evaluation of drugs' (anti-depressants, sedatives) psychotropic effects, making it a classic and painless research test for anxiety and depression.
BIOSEB' Tail Suspension Test system is the only full automatic test in the world!
. It is based on the original
“ITEMATIC-TST” described by Steru in 1987, it uses both strain gauges and video backup recording
, and does not induce any pain
in the animal: the mouse’s tail is simply stuck to the sensor using a piece of tape.
The original ITEMATIC design has been modified, adapted and improved for the Porsolt and Partners Pharmacology Co in the 2000. It can hold 3 mice in three separate compartments and features adjustable floor height and anti climbing plates for C57 strain mice.
The Bioseb Tail Suspension Test instrument offers unique features such as the randomization process of the animals, the measurement of up to 6 animals in the same run, the direct computations of the "Immobility", the "Energy" and the "Power in Motion". Settings are available to adjust the definitions to the user's protocol. The energy value is a unique way to differentiate between passive swinging and active struggling. The power in motion is an additional discriminating calculation that gives an indication of the strength of the mice.
How does it work?
Painless tape-based fixation
The measuring principle is based on the quantity of movements that a mouse trying to escape from its suspension can generate
. During the Tail Suspension Test, the movements of the mice are analyzed in terms of activity (active/non active), energy and power developed over time. As human observation is time consuming and tedious, Bioseb's Tail Suspension Test (TST) automates the entire experiment.
The operator prepares his pieces of tape to suspend mice and the home cages with mice to be tested. When the whole experiment has been setup in the software and the list of animals randomized, the operator suspends each single mouse according to the randomization shown on the screen
. Each channel is started individually by pressing a specific key on the computer so that each mouse is suspended the same amount of time (something impossible with a system based solely on video).
When the run is finished, mice are removed and the operator is prompted to suspend the next batch of mice. After the experiment, the whole batch can be analyzed and statistics on averages minimums, maximums and standard deviations are computed in seconds
as is individual performance. Data is also presented within minutes for both the groups and individual animals (mice).
The TST-SOFT generates graphics that can be exported as a bmp image for further presentations.
Software & parameters measured
• Fully automatic and operator-independent
• Includes 4 types of randomization processes of the animal list
• Measurement of up to 6 animals in the same run
• Full control of the calibration
• High predictability for antidepressant effects in humans
• Based on innate behaviours and despair models
• Widely used in literature and deeply validated in phenotyping and pharmacology
• Simple to set up and use
• Replay possible with other parameters
• Short-lasting experiment (usually 6 minutes)
• Now a wireless instrument with bluetooth connectivity!
• Optional video recording to adjust the activity threshold
Domains of application
• Depression & anxiety
• Drug screening
• Basal depressive-like state phenotyping
• Studies on behavioral abnormalities
• Behavioral effects of pharmacological compounds relevant to depression
• Antidepressant efficacy on chronic stress models
• Sleep and mood disorders
• Studies on serotonin aspects
• Acupuncture and dopamine
• Behavioral effects of genetic manipulations relevant to depression
The brand new software for Bioseb’s Tail Suspension test is based on direct acquisition from the strain sensors, as well as video monitoring. It is powerful, yet flexible and user-friendly.
• Just one screen is needed to set up all the parameters such as the number of animals, thresholds, and starting and ending times of the measuring period.
• The animal list can be edited, exported, or imported from excel or csv format directly.
• The "Randomization" module defines the order of the different "dosed" animals with their groups.
• During the test, a bargraph displays energy and the real time computation of results.
• The results for immobility time, energy value, and power during the mobility period are displayed via graphs and numerical tables.
• Original Data files are saved and protected in a GLP compatible format.
• Replay of past experiments is always possible, allowing testing of different parameters.
• It is possible to discard the result of a particular animal (for example if the subject falls down during the test), in order to secure traceability.
• A manual scoring module used together with a camera can be used to determine the type of threshold the operator should set in the system.
Screenshots of Bioseb's new Tail Suspension Test software
• One or two sets of three cages together with power supplies and USB cables as needed.
• 1 software license (USB dongle with product ID tag)
• Optional HD USB camera and its tripod and USB cable