! NEW RESEARCH WORK !
A recent publication
by M. Leger, V. Bouet, T. Freret, A.-S. Darmaillacq, M. Dacher et al. in "Behavioural Brain Research" highlights the merits of using Bioseb's Black & White Test Box
: Environmental enrichment improves recent but not remote memory in association with a modified brain metabolic activation profile in adult mice.
Black & White Test Box: System overview
Numerous behavioural paradigms using several conflict procedures, social interaction or exploration of novel environments have been proposed as animal models of anxiety. B. Costall et al have described (Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 32(3): 777-785, 1989) a new model based on the adversive properties of the open field and in which anxiolytic drug-induced ease of exploratory activity is compared between an illuminated compartment and a dark one.
Our dark-light (or Black & White) box allows easy and quick evaluation of the animal anxious behavior and its modification by pharmacological agents by assessing the animal displacements in two compartments with different size, color and illumination. It is a available for both rats and mice
The dark-light experimental box, constructed of Perspex, is composed of a small black compartments and a big white compartment separated by a connecting gate. Each compartment has its own removable Perspex floor of the same color of the respective walls and 90 X 90 mm sectors delimited by lines. The compartments are independently illuminated: the white one with a 100 W white bulb and the black one with a 40 W red bulb. Both bulbs are 370 mm from the floor of the box.
The dark-light box can be supplied with a weight transducer system for automated animal detection. In that case, the automated experimental chambers (up to 8) are associated to the PC-based control software PPCWIN for data storage and analysis.
Even though it may represent a more complex experiment to set due to the strong lighting contrast existing between the compartments, some researchers also use the box with a video tracking system.
• Compartments with independent and highly contrasted illumination
• Associated with weight transducer technology for optimal animal detection
• Easy to clean between two trials
• Easy connection to a PC through RS232 port
• Exploration-based conflict task
• Based on innate behavioral tendencies (ethological test)
• Light versus dark compartment choice
• Widely used in literature
• Simple to set up and use
• Short-lasting experiment (no more than 5-10 min)
• Sensitive for both rats and mice
• Total time spent in each compartment
• Latency to the first change of compartment (regardless to the animal initial position)
• Number of changes between the black and white compartments
• Total duration of the experiment
Domains of application
• Drugs screening
• Behavioral/ethological studies
Models LE816 and LE818 have a load cell in each compartment to detect the position of the experimental subject. All models are controlled by the PPCWIN Software
Dedicated PPCWIN Software
The PPCWIN Software can control from one up to eight cages.
It is not necessary the use of any device as interface, since the link is made by serial way and RS232 port (USB)
The Software has the following characteristics:
• Windows™ XP (SP2 or higher), Vista 32, Windows 7 or 8 compatible
• Trial length and Start/Stop are defined separately for each Cage
• Records total time spent in each compartment, for trial
• Records number of transitions between the two areas
• Records latency time before first transition
• Records number of line crossing in the two compartments (activity)
• Once a trial is over, ASCII files containing all information are generated
Up to 8 systems may be controlled simultaneoulsy by the PPCWIN Software
Once a trial is over, ASCII files containing all information are generated.